The difference between intrinsic and external extrinsic aging is that the intrinsic, or the natural aging, process is controlled by genetic or chronological aging. As we age cell turnover, skin moisture and firmness naturally decrease. In women, the decline of estrogen leads to less collagen and elastin production leading to wrinkles, sagging skin, and loss of elasticity.
Extrinsic aging, is photo-aging, caused by environmental factors, such as pollution, climate, diet, and stress. Plus, preventable habits, like smoking, are other culprits. These factors are largely controllable, unlike intrinsic aging.
Some physical signs of intrinsic aging include:
- – Surface changes
- – Expression lines
- – Wrinkles
- – Dry and itchy skin
- – Sagging or slack skin
- – Loss of firmness (tension)
- – Thinning lips
- – Loss of fat
Color and tone changes
- – Age spots, discoloration, and pigmentation irregularities
- – Uneven tone
- – Dull or lackluster skin
- – Dilated capillaries (redness)
Although intrinsic aging begins in the 20s, wrinkles and age spots, may not show up for decades. Time passes, and we can’t change that.
While we won’t be able to stop intrinsic aging at the source until we develop DNA manipulation techniques, there are things we can do to slow the progress of intrinsic aging, such as a proper daily skin care routine of twice daily cleansing, exfoliating, and hydrating, day and night.
- purifying gel cleanser lifts away impurities, oi,l and makeup to reveal clean, fresh, refined skin that is ready to receive the benefits of other eraclea® products. It leaves skin refreshed and supple, never tight or dried out.
- eye surround cream is a light, targeted, hydrating and firming cream designed to help minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles around the eye as well as on the lid. Special proteins work to minimize the appearance of under-eye puffiness and dark circles, while firming the delicate, sensitive skin around the eyes.
- hydrating day lotion is a unique, lightweight yet ultra-hydrating blend of peptides, extracts and vitamins formulated to deliver moisture even after skin’s surface feels dry to help minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and fight premature aging.
- restorative hydrating night cream is super-hydrating, non-greasy cream that works to firm, repair, and restore the skin while you sleep. This nourishing and hydrating formula not only helps reduce the look of fine lines and wrinkles, but also helps skin recover from environmental stress and refines texture for renewed radiance.
Extrinsic aging is also referred to as photo-aging because the sun is enemy number one when it comes to external signs of skin aging. The radiation from the sun’s UV rays accelerates the breakdown of skin cells, leading to sagging, pore enlargement, epidermal and dermal weakening, and wrinkling.
At its worst, extrinsic aging—due to overexposure to UV light—may also result in skin cancer. Protection against UV exposure and pollution, giving up bad habits like smoking, and eating fresh, skin-friendly foods can significantly push back extrinsic aging.
Smoking accelerates extrinsic aging by causing skin discoloration, deep wrinkles, and poor wound healing. It restricts circulation and blood flow, preventing needed oxygen from passing to skin cells. The results are dilated blood vessels on the skin surface and the dull, sallow, gray-tinged complexions smokers are known for.
Staying out of the sun, quitting smoking, eating healthy and getting enough rest are all ways in which you can fight the extrinsic signs of aging.
- daily bamboo exfoliant helps increase skin cell turnover rate and resurfaces the skin to reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, pores, age spots, discolorations and acne scars.
- perfectionist 4-in-1 cream with SPF 30 helps protect the skin against the radiation from the sun’s UV rays which accelerates the breakdown of skin cells, leading to sagging skin, pore enlargement, epidermal and dermal weakening, and wrinkling. Broad-spectrum UV protection (protection against both UVB and UVA wavelengths) is essential in the fight against sun damage.
- intensive repair and protect serum/ vitamin C is an antioxidant that can help stave off UV-induced oxidative stress, or free radical damage. Free radicals are unstable molecules that damage skin cells, leading to some of the very signs of aging we are so determined to avoid. Antioxidants help fight off free radicals, giving back the missing electron to the unstable atom, thereby fending off the chain reaction and keeping the damage from occurring.
- reveal advanced lightening cream with Drone Technology uses dual encapsulated super-peptides to target specific cells and release active ingredients directly where they are needed most, quickly producing outstanding results. This product is formulated to address uneven skin tone and discoloration with proven lightening and brightening ingredients that work to reverse, repair and prevent future damage at the cellular level, revealing a younger smoother looking complexion.