All Hail The Watermelon
No other produce screams summer quite like the watermelon. It could be its refreshing sweetness or even the burst of color that adds a bit of brightness to your plate, but there’s more to watermelon than just its flavor. It boasts some powerful skin and health benefits, too.
- At only 46 calories per cup, watermelon offers 20% of your daily intake of vitamin C and 17% vitamin A.
- It contains dietary fiber for digestive health as well as potassium, a mineral that helps keep blood pressure capped.
- Anti-aging benefits. Pink watermelon is source of the potent carotenoid antioxidant, lycopene. Lycopene is thought to act as a super antioxidant, stopping free radicals from damaging your cells and messing with your immune system.
- It’s a natural moisturizer and toner for the face and keeps the skin glowing and well hydrated.
- It helps relieve muscle soreness and inflammation that contributes to conditions like asthma, atherosclerosis, diabetes, colon cancer, and arthritis.
- Stress Buster – Watermelon is high in vitamin B6 which is used by the body to help relieve fatigue, stress and anxiety.
- Instant source of energy – it contains electrolytes, minerals and carbohydrates which help keep the body hydrated and energetic.
Fun Fact: Watermelon is a fruit AND a vegetable! It’s related to cucumbers, pumpkins and squash.
No wonder there’s a month-long holiday dedicated to it! Celebrate National Watermelon Month with this tasty treat:
Frozen Watermelon Lemonade
- 3 cups watermelon cubes, seeds removed
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Juice of 2 lemons (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups strawberry-flavored, calorie-free carbonated water, chilled
How to make it’¦
- Place watermelon cubes and raspberries in a blender; process until smooth. Pour through a sieve; discard pulp.
- Combine the sugar and water in the small saucepan. Heat, stirring constantly, just until the sugar dissolves. Set aside allow to cool slightly.
- Stir the sugar-water and lemon juice onto the watermelon raspberry juice mixture. Pour the juice mixture onto a covered freezer container. Freeze until firm
- Using an ice cream scoop, spoon the mixture into tall glasses. Pour 3 to 4 tablespoons of the strawberry flavored water over the frozen juice in each glass. Serve immediately.