Research shows that not only sufficient sleep, but quality sleep is vital for a healthy body and mind, weight stability, mental health and improved immunity. Sufficient slumber also improves the skin’s overall appearance and helps give it a healthy, vibrant glow.
The Importance of Sufficient, Quality Sleep
- Allows the brain to rest
- Global restoration for all organs, including the skin
- Aids in skin renewal and repair
- Promotes collagen synthesis and contributes to the firmness and healthy appearance of the skin
- Helps balance estrogen levels to support better moisture retention
Side Effects of Sleep Deprivation
- Weight gain
- Negative impact on the immune system
- Causes the skin to be more susceptible to rashes, eczema, psoriasis and rosacea flare-ups
- Stimulates oil production leading to an increase in acne breakouts
- Accelerates the aging process
Evening Skin Care Routine
At night, the cells focus on repairing themselves from the damage encountered during the day. It is important provide your skin with the proper nutrients it needs.
- Cleanser ‘ Gently wash your skin with a mild cleanser suited for your skin type: dry or normal/oily. A clean surface will allow creams and lotions to penetrate better.
- Anti-aging products: Serums such as intensive repair and protect serum/vitamin C help protect against cell damage, accelerate cell renewal, improve tone, texture, firmness and brightness and guard against wrinkles
- Moisturizer: Using a night cream will help hydrate and rejuvenate skin while you sleep.
- Pay special attention all areas – Eye cream and lip balm are also good to apply at night.
Tips for Good Sleeping Habits
- Avoid caffeine 4 to 6 hours before bed.
- Limit alcohol and heavy meals before sleep.
- Avoid using electronic devices immediately before bed.
- A hot bath or shower before bedtime can help to relax the body.
- Choose a sleeping space wisely: A dark room encourages the release of melatonin.
- Create a sleep habit. Go to bed and wake up at the same time every day.
- Get regular exercise.
Ultimately, achieving healthy, beautiful skin comes down to consistency in lifestyle, skin care routine and sleep habits. For the appearance of more youthful and vibrant skin over time, aim for at least six to eight hours of sleep nightly. And remember, sleep is a source of fuel and energy and health, not a chore.